Be the life of the party, don a new lamp shade!
Wearing a lamp shade on your head to provoke laughter or disguise embarrassment dates back to the 1920’s when men would place a shade over their head, stand up and tell jokes that were inappropriate for mixed company.
Today, however, we are living in more of an “Anything Goes” society where no subject is taboo and nothing seems to embarrass us easily. Many of us may be wondering where our values lie, what has happened to common decency, and what can we do to regain some control?
Start small; Take a baby step in the right direction by restoring symmetry and adding beauty to your home, one accessory at a time.
Outstanding new lamp shades make it easier than ever to add elegance and update your home decorating scheme. Restore the dignity of an old lamp base and uniquely refine your decorative flair with a terrific new shade. You will be surprised at how such a simple change can add a fresh new look to update your home’s decor.
The best way to find the style that suits your needs is to bring in your lamp base. With a few changes to the internal hardware, you may find that perfect shade and create a whole new look that uniquely defines your decorative style. Simply by changing the lamp’s harp, adding a riser or harp extender , you may custom-fit a new shade shape or style to almost any lamp base!If you cannot bring your lamp base in to be custom-fitted for a new lamp shade, your choices will be limited–but do not despair. It is still possible to find a suitable replacement lamp shade: Take the following measurements when looking for a new shade…
How-to Size Up a Replacement Shade
1. Measure across the top of your old lamp shade, record this top diameter measurement in inches.
2. Measure across the bottom of the shade, record the bottom diameter measurement in inches. *The bottom diameter measurement is the measurement used for standard lamp shade sizes: Typically ranging from sizes 12 to 18 for most lamp bases.
3. Measure up along the surface of the shade from top to bottom to record the side height in inches.
4. Turn the shade upside down to get the inside measurement from the center top holder to the bottom of the shade, record the overall shade height in inches.
5. Consider the shape of your lamp base and choose a shade to complement that shape whether it be square, oval, hexagonal, etc.
Although it is possible to pick out a lamp shade with these exact shade measurements, you may be limiting your choices. Try to bring your lamp base with you, when searching to update your style with a perfect match!