A wedding, baby shower, bridal shower, sweet sixteen or bar mitzvah are all momentous life events that deserve the upmost attention to detail. The venue, flowers, party favors and the food are all important, but without the perfect twinkle of light the mood can be missed.
Good lighting can make or break an atmosphere, so you want to make sure you choose the style of the fixtures to fit in with your theme, the type of bulb and the light given off the fixture wisely. According to celebrity wedding planner, Mindy Weiss, lighting fixtures are a huge trend for wedding décor and really all events this year.
“When we did Hilary Duff’s wedding, we literally hung 55 different chandelier pendants over her whole dance floor and her table,” said Weiss.
Make your events a success with these tips:
- Make sure lighting is controlled throughout your event space. If the ceremony is outside at dusk, the cocktail hour is inside and the reception returns outdoors make sure the lighting is changed for the time of day and size of the space.
- Choose the right bulb:
- Incandescent bulbs give off a warm, inviting quality and are very complimentary to skin tones and psychologically appealing.
- Halogen bulbs are a variation of incandescent. They give the closest approximation of natural daylight, known as “white light.” Colors appear sharper under halogen light and the bulbs can be dimmed.
- Fluorescent lighting is a common ceiling lighting choice.The typical fluorescent gives a flat, cold light, often bluish and harsh.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs, unlike the old fluorescent lights, CFLs are quiet, instant-on and have warmer, color-corrected tones.
- LED bulbs provide only directional light, not diffused light, making them ideal for under-counter task lighting, but not general room illumination.
- Don’t be afraid of color! This will give your special day a whole new feel. Keep the centerpieces and chair coverings a bit more simple to not over power the room.