The expanding bulb market provides excellent lamp options, however, confusion and questions arise as to how-to find the right mix of illumination to bring out the best in the functional and decorative features, as well as the healthful benefits, in your home’s lighting design. Better color rendition and color temperatures in LED illumination are bringing solid state lighting products to the forefront of residential and commercial lighting design.
Whereas color rendering is of utmost importance in bedrooms, master closets and living rooms, broad energy-efficient general illumination may take precedence in basements and garages.
Find the best lamps and light fixtures for every room in your home with these simple tips.
WAC kitchen lighting image from formandfunction.com
5 Bulb-wise Lighting Tips to Update your Illumination
1. CFL (compact fluorescent) lamps are still popular in areas that require cooler, energy-efficient general illumination, such as undercabinet lighting and cove lighting in kitchens and flush-mount ceiling fixtures in closets, garages and basements.
2. Eco-friendly halogen lamps are favored for elegant, accent lighting and are still the go-to choice when it comes to luxurious illumination for areas of the home such as living rooms, dining rooms and master bedrooms.
3. For task lighting, LED (light-emitting diode) desk lamps, reading lamps, track and recessed lighting and mini pendant lights are becoming the new standard. New LED lamps provide great color rendering and light output, perfect for track and recessed fixtures.
4. LED lamps are the best choice for outdoor lighting, too, due to their low-maintenance and high energy-efficiency. Although the initial cost for LED lamps may be higher, you will benefit from long-term savings on your energy bills and in maintenance and bulb-replacements costs—especially in areas where bulb-replacement is difficult and illumination is frequently needed as in outdoor security lighting and recessed fixtures in tall ceilings.
5. Incandescent lamps are still popular for portable lighting, pendant lights and ceiling fixtures, but look for good quality candelabra or A-type bulbs with the best efficacy (lowest wattage and highest lumen output).
Note: Do not skimp and buy bulbs of lesser quality, because substandard bulbs may emit a poor quality of light and may burn out prematurely. Purchase your indoor and outdoor lighting from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the quality of their merchandise.
For more information on lighting your home efficiently and effectively, visit a Capitol Lighting showroom and meet with a professional lighting consultant.
From LEDs and CFLs to halogens and colorful novelty lamps, Capitol Lighting’s 1800lighting.com provides the light sources to illuminate your home or office environment, easily, elegantly and affordably.
“Como” bath vanity lighting from Kichler Lighting
Capitol Lighting is proud to present quality lamps from Bulbrite Industries, Satco, Osram and Philips including these award-winning products:
LED bulbs from Bulbrite, dimmable and offered in a variety of color temperatures
LED T8 bulbs from Bulbrite Industries
LED recessed lighting from WAC Lighting
LED recessed lighting from Satco