Outdoor Wall Lighting Buyer’s Guide
Outdoor Lighting Designs: Beautifying, Durable and Timeless
From seashore to snow-covered mountain region, find outdoor lighting that will stand the test of time with these helpful hints and lighting guidelines.
“Hawthorne” from Thomas Lighting features a durable Painted Bronze finish and energy-efficient CFL (compact fluorescent) illumination. *ENERGY-STAR-rated
“Lander Heights” from Minka Lavery in Forged Iron with Piastra glass is top quality and ENERGY STAR-rated.
Learn the tricks of the trade for custom decorating with wall lighting to beautify and enhance your outdoor lighting design scheme. Find top quality outdoor lighting fixtures that will last from season to season and hold up well to environmental elements from coast to coast.
Whether you are looking for decorative outdoor lighting fixtures for your vacation home or a complete security lighting system for your commercial office space, superb outdoor wall lighting should:
•Define and refine architectural features
•Create an opulent finish and a balanced presentation
•Include energy-efficient light sources
•Light the way for safe navigation and deliver an inviting illumination
•Be durable to withstand harsh weather conditions
Take these top 5 tips and choose the best outdoor light fixtures to maximize the potential in your home or office space…
Top 5 Outdoor Wall Lighting Tips
- Outdoor wall lighting should add a polished finish without over powering other architectural features in constructional design. With careful attention to placement, wall light fixtures should work in unison with the size, shape and dimensions of architectural features of your residential or commercial space.
“Le Havre” from Framburg features a prominent tall, slender and elegant design in durable solid brass metal components and an Iron finish. All Framburg Lighting fixtures are handmade in the USA.
2. Position wall lights to reduce glare and conceal bulbs accordingly. The beauty of outdoor wall lighting will be lost if you do not control glare and keep light sources properly shielded.
“Sedona” from ELK Lighting provides soft, diffused LED illumination with full range dimming capacity; energy-efficiency and the utmost of smart, classic Southwestern design with a rich Clay Bronze finish.
•If the bulb(s) in your outdoor wall light is visible, make sure to use a light source that will complement the fixture.
•Consider installing a frosted or color-coordinated bulb that blends well with your outdoor light fixture.
•Shades or light diffusers at the top and/or bottom of your wall light may help to resolve issues with glare and light trespass.
3. Look for outdoor light fixtures that will withstand the elements in your outdoor environment. The most trusted outdoor lighting vendors guarantee the quality of their products including durable finishes, fixture composition and electrical components.
“Woodcliffe” from Northeast Lantern is available in a myriad of finish options, including Antique Brass, Verdi Gris and Raw Copper. *All finishes are guaranteed for life.
4. It is best to choose your outdoor lights before new construction or remodeling, so that you may install junction boxes accordingly. Outdoor wall lights come in a variety of shapes and sizes with unique features that may call for a junction box to be positioned above, below or level with the decorative wall light.
“Wembley Park” from Murray Feiss is mounted well above the custom finished backplate. The Textured Black finish complements the newly updated traditional composition.
5. Outdoor wall lights are made to accommodate incandescent, fluorescent, or LED light sources. Check with your lighting retailer to ensure the best match, including correct bulb wattage and base requirements, for your outdoor lighting installation.
The “Maryville” outdoor wall light from Artistic Lighting features a Copper powder-coat finish to ensure durability.
Key Features to Look for When Making your Outdoor Lighting Purchase:
•Look for Dark Sky-friendly fixtures. Not only are they more energy-efficient, they help to reduce light pollution and invasive glare.
•Check to make sure all outdoor lighting fixtures are UL-approved. The best outdoor light fixtures will be UL-approved for outdoor use and will hold-up to wet weather conditions.
•Look for ENERGY STAR-ratings. The latest energy-efficient outdoor wall lights require considerably less power to produce outstanding illumination with smart styles from traditional and eclectic to Asian-motif and modern.
•Make sure to include automated controls and timers on outdoor lighting for convenience and cost-savings.
•From seaside to mountain top, find finishes that are built to weather specific conditions for your area to avoid having to replace outdoor wall fixtures that do not hold up year after year. Buy your light fixtures from a reputable dealer who will guarantee the quality of their products.
Top Pics include:
The “Ingot” LED wall light from Hubbardton Forge showcases a rugged material texture on a heavily forged plate with LED lamping hidden inside a rectangular cast arm. The simple square frame is ADA-compliant and available in a choice of finishes.
Modern Form’s “Dawn” wall lights provide indirect ambient LED back lighting and down lighting. UL-listed for wet locations and fully dimmable using an electronic low-voltage dimmer, these light fixtures are suitable for both interior and exterior lighting applications.
“Merrill” outdoor wall lights from Murray Feiss feature a new Heritage Bronze finish.
To view more outstanding outdoor lighting fixtures, receive expert advice on your outdoor lighting project or for more information on durable and beautifying outdoor wall lighting– visit a Capitol Lighting showroom and consult with a professional lighting consultant.