The sweeping curve of a building, the craftsmanship of a beautifully designed chair, the gentle cascade of a bold fabric – this is but a short list of things that inspire me and capture my imagination. I have worked in the field of design for over 15 years and I enjoy creating spaces in many genres, but a contemporary look is always something that catches my eye. Some tricks to creating a contemporary space or redesigning a space to achieve a more contemporary look are:
- Keep the pallet neutral and add bold art to provide impact.
- Mix in the unexpected – a vintage chair, a Lucite table, retro fabric or a unique lighting fixture to create focal points of interest.
- Be fearless with one outstanding piece and let the rest of the pieces support the main event.
Here, the green DaVinci chandelier by Schonbek is the focal point for this contemporary dining room
- Select items that you love – especially when it comes to art. You will see it every day so it must be something that inspires you.
A calming taupe color is the perfect counterpart to the vivid orange and pinks used throughout this contemporary guest room.
- Keep it simple – contemporary design is clean and sleek. Less is more.
A simple night stand featuring the Galileo lamp fixture for a guest bedroom
Joe Fava is a South Florida based interior designer and owner of Fava Design Group, LLC. Fava is a licensed interior designer and member of the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID). He has been the recipient of numerous awards and accolades that include such titles as “Design Visionary” and “Design Star of Tomorrow.” He has been declared as our first Designer of the Month, which is a Capitol Lighting program to promote local interior designers. He has worked on projects throughout the U.S. and Caribbean.