See the highlights over 90 years of Capitol Lighting:
From a small storefront in New Jersey to 1800lighting.com around the world, Capitol Lighting remains committed to satisfying the illuminating needs of customers through personalized, professional service. With extreme gratitude for trusted employees and a loyal customer base, we take a look back as we go forward to a brighter future for all…
• 1924: An award-winning, family-owned retailing tradition begins January 24, 1924. Capitol Lighting takes root as Ethel and Max Lebersfeld, recent immigrants from Austria-Hungary, open a lighting and home furnishings store on Prince Street in Newark, New Jersey.
• 1927: Capitol Lighting moves to larger headquarters on Springfield Avenue in Newark.
Capitol Lighting on Springfield Avenue in Newark, New Jersey
With Ethel’s entrepreneurial spirit and Max’s vocation as an electrical contractor, what will become one of the country’s largest upscale lighting and home-furnishing suppliers is born.
• 1940: Arthur Lebersfeld, son of Ethel and Max, conceptualizes a lighting store that is not only functional, but decorative as well.
Arthur’s keys to success:
– Delivering excellent service
– Maintaining a beautiful showroom
– Providing top quality merchandise at unbeatable prices
– Having well-trained, competent salespeople.
• 1960’s: Powered by the motto “The customer is always right,” the business continues to thrive; and Arthur and his wife, Rose, open more Capitol Lighting showrooms in New Jersey. Their sons, Herman and Max, follow in their parents’ footsteps and begin their professional careers with Capitol Lighting.
• 1967: The largest lighting specialty store ever built, 60,000 square feet, opens its doors in East Hanover, New Jersey and Capitol Lighting becomes the most important retailer of lighting in the United States.
• 1980’s: Five generations later, Capitol Lighting remains a family owned and operated business committed to the time-honored traditions of delivering the finest in home lighting and accessories, the best prices, and providing outstanding service.
• 2000’s: Along with a committed staff of dedicated employees, Herman and Max Lebersfeld serve as Co Chairmen of the Board; Herman’s sons, Ken and Eric as CEO and CFO respectively; Max’s sons, Jason and Brian as Vice Presidents; and Daniel Silver, a member of the family’s fifth generation, starts his professional lighting career in Florida.
• 2011: Capitol Lighting partners with Habitat for Humanity and HGTV star Rob Van Winkle (aka Vanilla Ice) to launch the “Making Lives Brighter” Campaign. The campaign continues to collect and donate lighting fixtures for new homes at Habitat for Humanity sites in New Jersey and South Florida.
• Today: With a strong commitment to customer satisfaction, the guaranteed best prices and an outstanding selection of home lighting products and decorative accessories, Capitol Lighting has earned numerous awards, including the prestigious ARTS award for “Best Lighting Showroom” in the East Atlantic and New Jersey Monthly magazine’s “Family Business of the Year” and “Best of New Jersey” for “Where to Shop for Lighting.”
Capitol Lighting remains a family-owned and operated business with a commitment to customer satisfaction, top-quality products and unbeatable prices. To find the best prices on your personal lighting project or to request a quote for your next commercial lighting job, please visit Capitol Lighting at 1800lighting.com or call 1-800-544-4846.
Whether you are searching for custom designed chandeliers, top quality landscape lighting, or a complimentary and personalized lighting plan to showcase your entire home, professional lighting consultants at Capitol Lighting are here for you.
With eight lighting showrooms (four in New Jersey and four in Florida) and a worldwide website at 1800lighting.com, Capitol Lighting celebrates their 90th anniversary this year. We thank our loyal customers. We will continue to provide the best value, most innovative lighting designs and your guaranteed satisfaction.